Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday


Of the seven last words from the cross, only the first, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me" is recorded twice--both in Matthew and Mark. The significance of it cannot be overstated. He was earnest in asking, though it also fulfilled Scripture to ask. Why? is the righteous man's plea, and is part of his righteousness: is perfect faith. By this mystery we are granted a God who will never forsake us, though we deserve it. For he gained every right to pray, "Father, forgive them" for all, and "Today thou shalt be with me in paradise" to an individual. His "into thy hands I commit my spirit" shows perfect faith, and his "Behold thy son . . . behold thy mother" shows perfect dedication to duty even unto death. His "I thirst" pertains to his perfect fulfillment of the Scriptures, and his "It is finished" pertains to the perfect sacrifice. The sermon.

No comments: