Monday, September 08, 2008

Three, Yes Three Cheers for Sarah

Which is to say, here's the third of three blog posts in praise of Sarah Palin, almost in a row.

Why? You ask? Why am I so pumped?

Because I remember Ronald Reagan--Ronald the Great--so well, and here he is all over again, as his own son Michael Reagan so glowingly exulted the other day.

Because the conservative movement is suddenly reborn and we have reason to hope that America might not, after all, continue to be dismantled and demoralized by the relentlessly atheistic Left. Not just yet, anyhow.

Because the groundswell was instant. The sleeping majority has awakened, and it is huge. I know I am not the only one who is pumped.

Hey, all you Ron Paul folks, get off it, will you? Listen, John McCain will probably not be that great a President (though I have to admit he could surprise me and yet turn out to be, so I'll reserve my own judgment right now, only because he so surprised me with his VP pick).

But Sarah Palin has drastically changed the scenery, and the Alaskan panorama is breathtaking in more ways than one. I'm not merely thinking of a McCain presidency here, but of a Palin one to come. Deborah the Prophetess lives.

So I'm going to make a bold prediction, just for fun. I predict this election will go to McCain, and that it won't even be close. He will win in a landslide, I think. Here's why I think this.

First, he's already ahead in the polls. The Palin bombshell has shaken American politics to the roots, and it's already showing.

Secondly, Obama lost the blue collar states to Hillary already. They don't really like him that much to begin with, and he still has to sell himself even among Democrats.

Third, the presidential debates will quite possibly be a rout. I saw the Saddleback interviews, and although I've never been a real big McCain supporter, what I saw in those interviews is a stark difference in how he comes off, as opposed to Obama. That tells me that he will impress and surprise people when he matches up against Obama's stuttering aimlessness on national TV. People like it when a man gives a straight answer. They don't like "uh, uh, that's above my pay grade . . ." When Obama was asked what to do about evil, he said, something like, "We need to confront it." When McCain was asked, he said, without batting an eye, "Defeat it." And McCain does this sort of thin all the time, even if you disagree with him (which I sometimes do). So that will serve him well in the debates, I think. His confidence is born of an utter grasp of who he is and what he wants to do.

Fourth, the media will continue to hammer away at Palin, and the more they do, the more the backlash will help the ticket. The media folks probably know this, but they can't help themselves. They probably know already that Obama's best hope of winning will be the uncovering of some Palin scandal. I heard they're looking into whether she cheated in the Miss Wasilla contest. Now that is rich. The media barrage has become the gift that keeps on giving.

Fifth, there will be an unprecedented number of people watching the vice-presidential debate this time, and, well, need I say more?

I believe the Left knows this as well as I do, and that they're probably in a state of panic already. I hope Mrs. Palin's security is on high alert. Seriously.

17 comments:

Rev. David M. Juhl said...

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Fr BFE said...

Hah! I knew I'd smoke out a Paul supporter with that blog.

Pr. H. R. said...

Count another anti-McCainer smoked out - I think the Palin pick was inspired and brave and has worked, and I think McCain is light years better than Barry O'Bama but still: Open borders amnesty, gang of 14, massive foreign spending (even if he wants to be a domestic cutter...), etc.

So I'm sticking with my plan of a protest vote in a state that will vote for Barry come hell or high taxes. The way I figure is all conservatives in far gone blue states should vote for somebody besides McCain (Paul, Barr, the mailman) to try to send a message to the party greats: you can't just throw us a bone or two, we want a real conservative at the TOP of the ticket.

+HRC

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter said...

I'm awfully excited by McCain's choice for VP. This is a good indicator, I would think, that he will also appoint pro-life, consitutionalist judges, as he has promised. He's run a conservative campaign, and, whatever missteps he's made in the past, I'm happy to welcome him into the fold. A vote for someone else is, finally, a vote that Obama will appreciate. You can tell a lot by a person's enemies. The pro-abortion people are in an uproar over McCain-Palin. They despise Gov. Palin. I only wish our own side was as astute, and give credit where credit is due. Go Sarah! Hip, hip, hurray!

Fr BFE said...

As I said, I'm not thrilled about McCain. But I want two bumper stickers:

Palin for VP.

Palin '08

Rev. Paul Beisel said...

I agree with Peter.

Brian P Westgate said...

Um, just wondering, but like what exactly am I supposed to "get off?"
By the way, I agree with El Rushbo. John McCain by choosing Mrs. Palin has become John McBrilliant.

Fr BFE said...

I didn't say "get off," I said "get off it, meaning the Ron Paul bandwagon. Get off that.

And get a Palin bumpersticker instead.

Brian P Westgate said...

You said "get off it," so aren't I like grammatically bound to say something like "what am I to get off?" Voting for John McBrilliant, a big possibility, does not at all mean getting off what you call "the Ron Paul Bandwagon." I really never got on a bandwagon, he just says what I've thought as well, independently of him, I might add, as long as I've been able to vote (OK, I admit, that hasn't been all that long).
I still don't get why you seem to dislike Dr. Paul so much. Unless it's that he's probably an ex-Lutheran, though probably ULCA.

Rev. Paul Beisel said...

Actually, it would be, "off of what am I to get?"

Fr BFE said...

Yes, for, to wax Churchillian, third party candidates meant to derail conservatives are something up with which I will not put.

Anonymous said...

Bet if Obama had choosen a woman as VP instead of McCain many religious folk who are so enthusiastic about Palin would be saying we can't have a woman in such power over men.

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter said...

Well, you're right, heated debates can entice us to make attacks that are beside the point. But, really, that's beside the point, and a little too cynical. Conservatives were almost all favorable towards Margaret Thatcher, because she was conservative. Most religious conservatives, I think, have hungered for a good pro-life woman candidate, if for nothing else, to expose the distorted perception that all women are liberal and pro-abortion. Sarah Palin represents well a conservative and pro-life cause, and because of that, she's got my vote. If she also appeals to more folks because she's a woman, I'm glad. After all, elections aren't simply about making statemtents. Unlike some of my dear Ron Paul friends, I'd actually like the pro-life side to win the election rather than settle for private, little moral victories.

Anonymous said...

I think most of the readers of this blog want to see theological and not political postings...

please return to theological discussions....

thanks.

Fr BFE said...

I think most of the readers of this blog want to see the names of those who post comments . . .