Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"You have to worship right"?

So I'm over at the nursing home this morning, for a service with some people there to give them the Sacrament, and I notice a little group through the window of the room, across the hall. From past experience I know they are two Jehovah's Witnesses and one resident. They often have this little study at the same time.

When we were finished, and I was putting things away, a couple of times I met their eyes, and I got to thinking: I bet they're thinking I'm leading people astray with my ritual and my traditional Christianity; and here I am, thinking that they're leading this poor guy astray with their Jehovah's Witness junk. And I mused, that's pretty much what most religions think about most other religions: they're messed up, and we have it right.

As I was leaving, I overheard one of them say to the captive audience (of one resident), "To get to eternal paradise, you have to worship right." And I thought, as I walked out to my car, H'mmm. Who worships right?

The real answer is: nobody except for Jesus, since only He who is one with the Father was perfectly submissive to His Father's will. The rest of us are sinners. And since this is so; since nobody worships right except for Jesus Himself, therefore there is only one way of salvation: He is Himself the way, as He said.

Whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved. Whoever, that is, believes in Him and is baptized into Him who alone is the way, who alone worships rightly, shall be saved.

It is sad that people think there is another way.

No comments: