Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Symposium Week Looms

The rest of the world may tour on its merry way, but for me and my beloved, it will stop for a week. We're off to Fort Wayne again. Actually it's again for me, but for her, it's the first time for a symposium in about twenty years.

Some people don't like being there that week, and I can relate. Over the years I have learned to take in only those parts of the week that I want to take in, and leave the rest. Good grief, there are lectures and lectures and lectures, and then there are papers given in side rooms by Persons of Lesser Importance; there's a recitals and a choral vespers, and daily chapel, and there are gatherings and parties, and the big Thursday banquet. Well, I'll take in some of it, but certainly not all.

I'll be there to renew acquaintances and have a good time.

And, of course, for the most important event of all, the great Sabre of Boldness award Thursday night at 8, at the Hilton. Now that one I won't want to miss. I can't; I'm in it. The event has taken on a life of its own by now, somehow, and that's fine, because it's a worthwhile thing. Awarding someone who stands out for courage and confession, someone who represents all the rest.

Nominations are still coming in. Until next Wednesday when the nominations are closed, and the editors of Gottesdienst vote on the winner.

See you there.

4 comments:

Rev. Larry Beane said...

Dear Fr. Fritz:

I won't be able to make it this year, but I resonate with what you say.

Last year was the first time I attended the Sabre ceremony and spent time in the Gottesdienst hospitality room - and both were the highlights of symposia for me, as well as for my wife.

While some folks at symposia didn't really appreciate my wife being around, especially with a one-year old clinging to her - the opposite was true regarding the Gottesdienst editors and writers (you know, those incense-sniffing blackshirts and liturgical nazis who don't relate to ordinary people...). Grace made a point to tell me how welcomed she was, and what gentlemen of the highest caliber y'all were. She enjoyed the banter and theology as much as I did.

I'm a little burned out with the lectures and the whole symposia routine, but I truly will miss not being with the Gottesdienst guys this year.

I encourage everyone who is able to attend the Sabre of Boldness and make a point to laugh, learn, and confess the faith with Gottesdienst.

Fr BFE said...

What a bummer! Father Hollywood not coming? Nor the lovely Grace? Alas! I trust he either has a Very Good Reason, or that he will change his plans and come. As I said, it isn't the lectures that are grand, it's the company.

Rev. Larry Beane said...

There's an old proverb (it's either from the Apocrypha, or from a fortune cookie, I can't remember): "He who hath no money hath no funny."

Salem Lutheran Church fared better than many of the congregations in New Orleans after the "Late Unpleasantness" of 2005, but even we took a bad hit and had to cut our budget to the bone.

So, there is no line item for pastoral conferences this year. Hopefully and God-willing, things will pick up in the future - and we can once more join y'all above the Arctic circle in Fort Wayne to sip scotch and listen to Led Zeppelin to the glory of our Triune God.

Meanwhile, I'll be watching the Internet for the Sabre announcement. Maybe the Swedish press will once again report Gottesdienst as the Official Publication of the Missouri Synod(tm). ;-)

Anonymous said...

Father Eckardt-
Who won the 2007 Sabre of Boldness?